Worried About An Adult? Telephone:
0300 123 6720 or between 5pm - 8am on 0300 123 6722

What is Safeguarding and Abuse?

What is Safeguarding?

Safeguarding is the action taken to keep adults safe from harm and neglect.  It is important that people work together to make sure an individual is safe.

What is Abuse?

Adults can be vulnerable to abuse and neglect, especially if they have care and support needs.  Abuse is a violation of a person's human and civil rights by any other person.  It is where someone does something to another person, or to themselves, which puts them at risk of harm and impacts on their health and wellbeing.

Abuse comes in many forms and can often have a damaging effect on the health and wellbeing of an individual, the effects may be short term, or may last a long time.  The signs of abuse aren't always obvious, and the victim may not tell anyone what is happening to them - sometimes they may not even be aware they are being abused.

Types of Abuse

The links below describe each type of abuse, how it might happen, and what signs you might spot if someone is experiencing such abuse.

Reporting your concerns

If you have concerns about any of the above - if it's for yourself, or someone you know - it is important to share these concerns so help and support can be given.  If you're worried that your concerns could be wrong, stop and think - "What if I'm right?"

Anything you say will be in confidence – some information may be shared on a ‘need to know basis’ with staff who are able to help keep people safe. As a general rule, the name or details of the person reporting the concern will not be shared.

You can contact:

  • Lancashire County Council's Customer Access Service - 0300 123 6720 - you will speak to a social worker who will help with your concerns **
  • The Police, if you think a crime has been comitted, on 101 - or if someone is at immediate harm, dial 999.  You can also report your concerns to the Police via their website - lancashire.police.uk/reportit

**if you live in the Blackpool or Blackburn with Darwen areas the numbers you should ring are:

  • Blackpool: 01253 477592
  • Blackburn with Darwen: 01254 585449